Saturday, March 21, 2009

kids swap - reveal

Well, now my partner has got her items I can do an update of the whole outfit and the patterns I used. I sewed for dani and her cute little girl Hallie. if you would like to see a pic of Hallie modeling the outfit check out Dani's blog .
It was so nice to hear that it was well liked - even if it was much too big!

These are the patterns I used to make the whole outfit - with a few alterations as the fancy took me. My plan was to make a set that co-ordinated but also that each piece would work alone with anything else.

The leggings were using Burda 9615 and lovely cotton/spandex cranberry and hot pink stripy fabric from Crafty Mamas. I followed this pattern to the t and was happy with the result. It goes from size 3 to 12 and makes leggings in 3 lengths so is a great pattern to keep in the stash.

The skirt was from vintage McCalls 3900 view B. I made it in a soft, light denim with hot pink top stitching using a three-step zigzag to add interest. It was quite a simple pattern but the waistband was a bit fiddly - it used three separate strips of elastic in the casing. I decided to gather the bottom band to make it a bit frillier and twirlier. Originally I was going to use the reverse of the denim for a contrast band and applique a few ladybugs to match the top but ran out of time, and also wanted it to be less matchy-matchy.

The top was based on New Look 6641 (sizes 3-8, another good one to keep in the stash). I had my heart set on making a layer-look long sleeve top and the only pattern I could find wasn't available in Australia. I could have down loaded it but couldn't bear the thought of printing and sticking together all those bits of paper. I decided to find a simple top pattern that included a puff sleeve version and adapt it to suit. I used white rib knit for the body and puff sleeves and hot pink rib knit for the long sleeves and bound the sleeves and neckline with the canberry stripe I used in the leggings. I was a bit sick of spotlight and dreading a trip to find the right fabrics for the top when I stumbled across a huge pile of ladies t-shirts at BigW. The pink was just right, and snapped them up and took then home to shrink them in the wash. They were perfect but it was suprising how little fabric remained.

I embellished the front of the top with some curvy lines of a zig-zag stitch in hot pink (think it was actually a blind hem stitch) and then added 3 little lady bugs made from the cranberry stripe and some shiny silver stuff from the stash. A few bits of hand stisching for antenna and it was done.
After I had cut out all the pieces for this top I discovered a pattern for a similar top in the latest Ottobre magazine - I really should have taken out a subscription!

The sleeves were easy but the neckline was a bit harder. It was unpicked at least twice, but I think it turned out nicely in the end.
As a little extra I covered two buttons with the stripe fabric and two with some denim topstitched in pink, and then added hair elastics so Hallie can match from head to toe!
I also threw together a special pack for Dani, because I can - and a swap isn't a swap without chocolate. That's a new rule I've made - feel free to join in...!
I'll be getting a return swap sometime after Easter so drop back then for pics of Jack in his handmade goodies.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Kids clothing swap - sneak peaks

The latest EB swap is the kids clothing swap. I sew an outfit for the child of someone I've never met and then someone else in the group sews an outfit for my son.

I've had fun!

As you can guess from the pics I'm sewing for a girl. I'm not good with pink so I'm amazed how much I like the stripy fabric I found.
The patterns I chose were all quite simple, but as I firmly believe - a pattern is only a suggestion - the final garments are quite different to the patterns.

The top took a lot longer than expected because I made some major changes and winged it a bit with techniques I've never used before. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, especially after all the reverse sewing on the neckline!

I'm really looking forward to revealing the whole outfit after my partner gets it in the mail, and also looking forward to seeing a pic of it being modeled by the girl I've made it for.

Fat quarter swaps

I've signed up for the fat quarter birthday swap at EB this year. Still a few months to go before my birthday so I'm having fun putting together packs of birthday goodies for the girls in the swap.

Here are the last two I sent off. I'm actually finding it a challenge to get it in the post on time and I've yet to get one sent out and recieved BEFORE the birthday - still 9 months of the year so i'm sure I'll manage it eventually.

I hope the girls liked their pressies!