Saturday, February 13, 2010

EB New year swap - part 2: revealing my creations

As soon as my partner (Vikki) posted her list of things she would like to receive, I knew exactly what I would make for her.

She asked for a 'Make it Perfect' Versatile Wrap Skirt, and I happened to have the pattern sitting in my 'to-do' pile crying out to be used. Picking some fabric proved a little harder. After a fruitless trip to Spotlight and several hours online I found some that sort-of met her tentative request for brown and aqua. The skirt was very easy to make and I really liked the end result. I've got more of this fabric, and also some with a cream background instead of the brown. I'm planing on making one for me as well.



Vikki also had a superhero cape for her son as another item on her list. The tutorial for a reversible cape she had linked was actually sitting in my list of bookmarks - another item on my to-do list. As the skirt had been so easy to make that I decided to make tughhe cape for her son and one for mine. Because I could fit three across the width of fabric I made a third at the same time and gifted that to someone else as a surprise.


These were all made entirely from my stash, and are identical except for the letter on the black side.

I used shot duchess (sort of like satin but with a rough texture) for the blue side. It shimmers from blue to silver in the light. The emblem is my own design and uses the reverse of the main fabric for the shield and some black crepe and green felt for the rest of the design.



The other side is silky black crepe with red satin for the diamond and some flame-print polar fleece for the initial.


Applique on slippery satin fabrics turned out to be a little challenging, so the diamonds are not as neat as I would have liked, and it took ages to do three at once, but I think the end product is pretty fantastic.
Jack refused to wear his so I hope the other ones went down better at the other end!

4 comments:

Emma said...

Hey Bec...I just wanted to say a huge thank you the cape for AJ it was so unexpected, put a smile on my face!!!!

Unknown said...

You got one too Emma woohoo!! Thank you so much Bec, I can't say it enough. I'm wearing my skirt out today, it's perfect (scuse the pun hehe) I will take a pic and blog it tonight, I'm so happy :) The cape is fantastic too, I really love the shimmery fabric you've used and H loves it!! :)

Purple Paisley Patch said...

Love, love, love the skirt. Great fabric choices. I really have to buy that book, it's on my Fishpond wish list.

The capes are so cool. Wish I had a cape when I was a kid. My kids run around with blankets or sarongs as capes. Oh well, they seem happy enuf to make do.

THANKS sooooooo much for the parcel you sent me. It arrived on Friday and I was thrilled to bits. I'll pop something in the post for you next week. Let me know if you're after anything in particular, otherwise it will be a surprise package.

Hugs
Kelly :-)

PS: My word verification is "canspen", there should be and "e" on the end, "canspend", LOL. I certainly can spend, especially on fabric!

Beetlehouse Designs said...

Love it all Bec. It's fantastic. The skirt is fantastic. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!